As a mom, business owner and yogi, I prefer to maximize my time on the mat by incorporating as many different stretches as I can within a pose. So, rather than practicing a sequence of 5-7 poses, I’ll add variations to one pose to stretch out as many parts of the body as I can. I keep a yoga mat right in front of my desk so I can do some fly by yoga poses like this:
These are great stretches for the chest, shoulders, spine, hips, and quads. To practice this pose:
- Start in sphinx pose with your belly on the ground. Place your forearms on the ground and straighten your legs.
- Bend your left knee, extend your left arm, and cross your right arm under.
- Reach your left arm up and turn your chest up towards the ceiling.
- Place your left arm and shoulder on the ground, if possible. Use a blanket to support the left shoulder and under your left knee, if needed.
- For a variation, reach down with your left hand for your right foot and place your right arm gently on your right thigh.
- Stay as long as you like and switch sides.